Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Methodology model

This model has been constructed to represent my proposed methodology of my design research. 'The Landscape of Man' (book title) has been interrupted by cutting out the open cut mine form. This illustrates the the effect an Open Cut has on the landscape in terms of its scale, making it difficult to read or see beyond it.
I 'dig' into the book, moving through the layers of my methodology to reveal  the different programs dictating the form (underlying pages with different topics), until I get to the 'bottom' and 'find' the closing form. Conversely, what knowledge I pull out of these layers creates a new form.

Like mining, this model is about extracting and forming, with the tools or machinery used determining the form which the OC or project take on.
This model is also very constrained which my project at some stage is likely not to be. Like the pages in this book between the topics, what I find along the way might be more interesting and produce more knowledge (hopefully), than the current prescription.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity, does each contour cut out represent a chapter of the book? Be uber symbolic if it did, each chapter in a landscapes history being extracted and turned into another form. But thats just me rambling, cool model.
matt

Natarsha said...

Why yes Matt, it does. The pages still need to be written though.