Sunday, March 6, 2011

Site visit - Loy Yang

On Friday I drove up the Princes free-way to Loy Yang. The surrounding area is lush pasture on gentle rolling hills - very much the picturesque scene. That is until you get to the top of a hill and see the power station hungrily pulling at its surrounds.
I am awe-struck by the scale of the plant and wonder what have I got myself into to tackle such a monster of a site and this is only part 1 of 3 stations. The road takes you between the plant and its massive cooling towers. Its quite a surreal scene, foreboding when its first captured - something not to forget upon numerous visits when I become accustomed to it.
The power station is dwarfed by the depth and breadth of the open cut mine, which is viewed on the left of the plant as you drive into it.
The environmental officers showed me around the site and discussed the current procedures and plans. They were very generous with their time. Site access required an induction session and test on plant safety and evacuation
After I headed into Traralgon for a much needed lunch (shame the cafe prices were much like Melbourne - I was hoping for 'country-town' prices and portions), and discovered a great shoe shop to my surprise.


Dredgers working the OC and loading the conveyors
Retention pond in the OC which is continuously pumped out

I love this pic! The dredger peeks above the OC across the fields
Stackers loading the over-burden onto conveyor
Distributing the over burden ash layer
Over burden  mound being graded






3 comments:

Justin Walsh said...

Wow, what a massive scale! Good to see somebody's on the ball with site visits, most of us haven't even pinned down a site yet!

I cane across this article about mining in Conservation International, it might interest you:

http://www.conservation.org/sites/celb/fmg/articles/Pages/02082011_sustainability_in_mining.aspx

Justin Walsh said...

Also, I've just found this article on mining landscapes in Johannesburg:

http://places.designobserver.com/entry.html?entry=25008

J.

Michaela said...

http://m.ammoth.us/blog/2010/05/gravel-margins-in-our-midst/

This also might be an interesting read....